May 16, 2012
My kids absolutely love kiwifruit, and I am so glad because they have so many amazing health benefits. One kiwi has 45 calories, 10 grams of carbohydrate, 0.5 grams of fat and 2 grams of fiber. Here are the top 10 health benefits of eating kiwifruit.
Top 10 Health Benefits of Kiwi:
1. High in Vitamin C-Kiwi contains a remarkable amount of vitamin C, a water soluble antioxidant that has been proven to fight against cardiovascular disease and cancer. Kiwi contains 2 1/2 times the recommended daily allowance of vitamin C.
2. High in Fiber-Kiwi has a high fiber content which helps improve diabetes, controls blood sugar and protects against colon cancer.
3. Preventing Asthma, Wheezing and Coughing-Studies of 18,000 children have shown that children consuming more kiwi aided in their respiratory tracts and helped prevent asthma, wheezing and coughing.
4. Good source of potassium-One serving of kiwi has more potassium than a banana, ideal for fluid and electrolyte balance and energy during exercise.
5. Improved Vision-Studies show that not just carrots are good for your eyes, but kiwi too. Kiwi fruit is an excellent source of the phytochemical lutein which helps contribute to age related blindness. Consuming three kiwi a day can lower your risk of eyesight loss.
6. Improved Cardiovascular Health-Studies are showing consuming a few kiwi a day can lower your chances of blood clots as well as reduce your triglycerides, protecting against cardiovascular disease.
7. Source of Vitamin E-Kiwi fruit is one of the fat free sources of Vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant that helps boost immunity and helps lower cholesterol.
8. Good Source of Zinc-Kiwi’s zinc content can help promote testosterone in men and promote healthy skin, hair, nails and teeth.
9. Source of Folate-Kiwi has 10% of the recommended daily amount of folate which pregnant mothers need for a healthy pregnancy, baby and prevention of birth defects.
10. Low Glycemic Index-Kiwi has a low glycemic index of 52 which is safe for diabetics, is low in carbohydrates and aids in weight loss.
21 Responses to “10 Health Benefits of Kiwifruit”
I always eat the skin on kiwi. I've read that the skin can retain some insecticide, but I would think that a good rinse or gentle scrub would help with that if you are concerned about it.
I had no idea! Now adding that kiwi to my smoothie in the mornings makes me feel even better ;-)
Funny, before I even read this, I fed all of my kids some kiwi for breakfast! We love it in this house.
I absolutely love these ingredient-specific posts! I always learn so much ;) Thinking of you today and always!
I'm a big fan of kiwifruit - love all the health benefits.
I love that it has so much potassium, I'd much rather have a kiwi than a banana any day!
I only knew the vitamin C part! I love kiwis, so good to learn that they have so many benefits :-). Thanks for the great article, Alison! Stumbling.
Grishma @ZaikaZabardast says:
Alison, Thanks a lot for sharing this specific ingredient related posts. I am learning a lot out of it.
I love Kiwi!! Glad to know it's so good for you! :)
Yay, I just bought kiwi last night!
Feast on the Cheap says:
Love kiwis! Someone was also telling me recently that if you scrub the skin really well (but gently) with a potato scrubber, you can actually eat them with the skin on. Haven't tried that one yet tho....
Feast on the cheap, great tip! I must try that
Hello, great read on that one about Kiwi fruit benefits. Nice blog. Keep up posting! Cheers, Pyro.
Oye- Ekiti Nigeria says:
Glad to know the goodies of kiwifruit. Will eat everyday. Thanks
Lizy Bowel says:
It seems like kiwi is a king of fruits with this excessive amount of healthy benefits. It is new for me that kiwi has more potassium content than banana. I think vice versa but actually it is better as banana has more calories than kiwi. So I will eat more kiwi. It would be great to share some article with some great masks and recipes with kiwi. Thanks! cialis
[...] They are also full of minerals and folic acid, check out some more health benefits here http://www.ingredientsinc.net/2012/05/10-health-benefits-of-kiwifruit/#.URKwd6VJOAg they are truly a super [...]
[...] Kiwis (and many other fruits) are great sources of vitamin C, which will help you stay healthy, and help your body fight off free radicals (cancer prevention!) [...]
Howdy! I could have sworn I've been to this blog before but after checking through some of the post I realized it's new to me. Anyways, I'm definitely delighted I found it and I'll be book-marking and checking back frequently!
Jeba stin says:
Oxygenius Trial says:
Hello! This post couldn't be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this page to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!
wen im suffering in dengue i had kiwi my plate coun increased . I love kiwi more