January 12, 2012
How can you get the most from workouts? Take a look at the top calorie burning exercises if you want to get the most bang for your buck.
1. Running-Running is the easiest, cheapest workout. All you need is some good running shoes and a street or trail. Depending of your pace, running is said to burn up to 500 to 700 calories in an hour.
2. Spinning-The great thing about spin (or indoor cycling) classes is that anyone can do them. Also, it’s a great cross-training workout and not hard on the joints or knees. Some spin classes, with a lot of intervals, are said to burn up to 600 to 700 calories in an hour.
3. Jumping Rope-If your’e short on time, this is the exercise to do. Jumping rope for only 10 minutes is said to burn 130 calories or 780 calories an hour. I think I’m going to buy one tomorrow .
4. Zumba-Dancing for an hour is a great way to burn calories, and this latest rage is said to burn up to 500 calories in an hour. Its popularity is increasing by the week.
5. Swimming-This all over body workout is easy on the joints and great for you. It is a great workout for cross-training, and 30 minutes of the breast stroke can burn 400 calories in only 30 minutes.
Photo via Pinterest
16 Responses to “Fitness Friday: Top 5 Best Workouts for Burning Calories”
Jackie @ Domestic Fits says:
I love this list! I'm a spin girl. I think when I switch up my workouts to add in spin class, I burn twice as much weight. Not sure why it took me so long to jump on the spin wagon :)
Great list! I just took my first TRX class the other day and loved it! I'm signing up for more. I know it's important to include more aerobics in my workout too & this list is really helpful with that. Thanks!
EA-The Spicy RD says:
Great list! I used to be a runner-the best exercise in my mind-but too many injuries, so I enjoy short runs and 5k races every now and then. Spinning is great, but need to get a new saddle for my bike which is seriously uncomfortable!
Bev Weidner says:
I love that you posted this! I just finished my cardio blast. Only 30 minutes to Hip Hop Abs. I'm guessing I burned MAYBE 250. Maybe I should just do the workout twice. :) Running is my fave though, when it's not ARCTIC COLD OUT.
My personal favorite is jump rope. It gets your heart beating and you sweating in no time! Plus it's fun!
Great list and I would like to add that washing dishes, changing sheets, hiking up 4 flights of stairs from the parking garage with heavy bags of groceries and holding a 2 pound DSLR are great forms of working out, too :) seriously, fab list!
Your Fitness friday posts rock!
Love the jump rope tip! I'm going to get one. Your site is awesome!!
LOVE swimming! Was a competitive swimmer for 9 years...perhaps I should *dive* back in! :)
So many fun ways to get fit. I usually mix up my workouts-running, Body Pump, and Body Combat are my staples!
Your fitness friday posts are fabulous! Can't wait for your blog every week
We've been doing the "Insanity" workouts... I hurt!
Its funny how sometimes you forget about some of your favorite exercises. I love to swim!!! There's a pool right at my local fitness center. I need to get on that!
Barbara @ Barbara Bakes says:
Love Zumba and I was thinking the other day that I should start fitting swimming in.
I've heard Zumba is a great workout and lots of fun!
Love this! Next time you should put hula hooping its an awesome fun workout and you burn lots of calories! ;)I love all these ideas :) maybe i should start taking my swimming classes again because thats an insane amount of calories!