cool kitchen gadgets

july cover extra small copy

How to Maintain Your Weight During the Holidays

November 22, 2011

I was so excited last week to be asked to be on a very popular radio station in Birmingham, WMJJ Magic 96.5, and do a show on “Tips for Eating healthy during the holidays”. Before I went on the air, I thought about what I do personally, and I asked some of my friends on Facebook and Twitter for their input. The thing to remember is to eat everything in moderation. Also, make good food choices (such as my favorite Winter Radicchio Salad with Pomegranates). The radio show was so popular that I will be doing a monthly radio show with them, and I am so excited about that!

Here’s my list of Top 10 Healthy Holiday Eating Tips:

1. Exercise during the holidays.

2. Before you leave your house, eat a small snack and eat small meals throughout the day so you’re not binging at night

3. Eat breakfast on Thanksgiving and Xmas morning

4. Eat only what you love at the holiday table

5. Don’t rush to eat. Socialize as much as you can, but do it away from the holiday table.

6. If you’re drinking alchohol, drink a nonalcoholic version first

7. Drink a lot of water that day so it makes you feel full

8. Eat veggies everywhere you can, and fill your plate up with a lot of them

9. If there are 2 plate sizes, put your meal on a salad or dessert plate

10. When you’re done eating, wait and don’t go back for more.

9 Responses to “How to Maintain Your Weight During the Holidays”
Rachel says:
November, 23 2011at 12:28 pm
Congrats on your continuous success in all you do. What a motivator you are
Lisa says:
November, 23 2011at 12:28 pm
I need this list so badly. Thanks! You're a rockstar
Stephanie says:
November, 23 2011at 12:29 pm
Great tips for the holiday season! Have a great holiday
November, 23 2011at 12:55 pm
Great tips! Congrats on the radio interview and happy Thanksgiving :)
Carolyn says:
November, 23 2011at 08:46 am
All great tips. ANd for those of us on a specialized diet, either for health reasons (me!) or for weight loss, I'd add to prepare ahead of time, bringing your own little snacks if you need to, so you aren't so hungry that you are tempted to eat the things that will derail you! I always bring a little bag of nuts, so that I can reach for them if I am tempted by sugary items.
marla says:
November, 25 2011at 10:54 pm
Great tips Alison!
Jeanette says:
November, 23 2011at 06:10 pm
Great Tips - I try to drink more water and eat only the things I really love.
November, 23 2011at 11:10 pm
Great tips darling! I got my mom to put some healthier dishes on the menu this year, so it shouldn't be too gluttonous . Happy Thanksgiving!
Aggie says:
November, 28 2011at 05:18 pm
Thank you for your motivation!! I love this. I brought a huge veggie tray to Thanksgiving this year b/c we were eating so late...also brought a couple of roasted side veggies to a casserole heavy dinner! It's so hard to balance and just give in, but it's worth the effort. Hope you and your family had a great holiday!