July 05, 2011
While at their peak season, indulge in blackberries for a nutritious snack or dessert. One cup of fresh blackberries has 62 calories, 1 gram of fat, 15 carbohydrates, 8 grams of fiber, 2 grams of protein and only 1 mg of sodium. Here are the top 10 health benefits of eating blackberries:
1. Blackberries are one of the top ten foods containing antioxidants.
2. Blackberries are packed with polyphenols helping to prevent cancer and heart disease.
3. Blackberries are filled with anthocyanins (antioxidants which give blackberries their deep purple color) which help in memory retention and the risk of hypertension.
4. Blackberries are said to strengthen blood vessels, help fight heart disease and help improve eyesight.
5. The high tannin content of blackberries help tighten tissue, relieve intestinal inflammation, and help reduce hemorrhoids and stomach disorders.
6. Ohio State University found that blackberries may protect against esophageal cancer, a cancer caused by gastric reflux disease.
7. Blackberries have shown to protect against other types of cancers. They contain phytoestrogens (plant estrogens), a compound believed to play a vital role in preventing breast and cervical cancer.
8. Blackberries are high in Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Manganese and fiber.
9. The high fiber content of blackberries help reduce risk of intestinal disease and the risk of developing diabetes.
10. Blackberries are a healthy food choice that kids and adults love. They are a great way to refuel after a hard workout and help aid in fighting obesity. See a recipe for Blackberry-Blueberry Cobbler from my site last year.
34 Responses to “10 Health Benefits of Blackberries”
great list! I love your nutrition posts!
I had no idea blackberries were so powerful. Thank you Alison for wonderful information
awesome post and gorgeous photo
This is a wealth of great information. Your site is fabulous
Baking Serendipity says:
I have always loved blackberries, but didn't know all these awesome facts about them. Even more reasons to eat fruit :)
Maris(In Good Taste) says:
These put the word power in power foods! Gorgeous photos!
Super food!! Reminds me I got to get some again. S back from college has been munching on them lately adding them to his repertoire too!
Thanks for all this health info. Blackberries are one of my all time favorite fruits. See you later today :)
We love blackberries! Last week, I made a simple blackberry and pineapple salsa to go over coconut chicken. It was divine!
Feast on the Cheap says:
Added a big cupful to my morning smoothie today!
Kathy - Panini Happy says:
My daughter helped me make blackberry lemonade this weekend! I wonder where that 1 gram of fat comes from...that surprised me. Great info!
I knew there was a good reason I was gobbling these up like there was no tomorrow, lol. They have been so good recently!
Alison - great summary of all the health benefits of blackberries - can't to find some at our farmer's market!
Great information Alison. I love your nutrition posts
This is great! I just made blackberry ice cream (not so low in fat!) to post later this week, I will link over to this great information!
I've got a sweet corn and blackberry ice cream bookmarked to try. (Maybe the goodness of the blackberries will negate some of the effects of the cream.)
when is the best time to have blackberries...wat i mean is it good to have before food or after food or is it good in empty stomach.... i am concerned in weight reducing.
Wonderful source of information. I am glad it is still available via the internet.
Im really trying to incorporate more and more of these special berries into my diet.
Actor - Andrew D. Ford says:
Everything wild and naturally unspoiled by man is bes so the benefits aree relative really.
Black and Blue Smoothie says:
[...] For more information on the health benefits of each: blueberry health benefits and blackberry health benefits. [...]
[...] Read more about blackberries here. [...]
[...] Ingredients, Inc.10 Health Benefits of Blackberries » Ingredients, Inc. www.ingredientsinc.net/…/10-health-benefits-of-blackberries/ [...]
[...] colorful greens. If you want a refresher on the health benefits of blackberries, read my post on “Top 10 Health Benefits of Blackberries.” Feel free to add grilled chicken or shrimp along with your favorite salad dressing, or just [...]
Blackberries are the fruit with the highest level of antioxidants,I like it very much
[...] Sources: *Ingredients Inc. [...]
Amy Hunter says:
I always pick blackberries on the wild to make pies now I am doing red raspberries pies to. The pies I mix them together with blackberries and blueberries too. Also organic blackberries too.
Betty Rocker says:
I love your ingredient posts! They are so helpful. Thank you!
Mark Whitworth says:
Yes the BLACKBERRY is a great Berry. I have my own blackberry patch. Scene I add blackberry to my power drink. My digestive system is a lot better.The taste make the drink better. Health wise, the berry help fight cancers and give you one of the highest antioxidant. I love my blackbeey.
[...] Ingredients, Inc.10 Health Benefits of Blackberries … [...]
Great list of Nutrition
[...] 1/2 handful frozen organic blackberries - Health benefits of blackberries [...]
I am very much fond of blackberries and I usually take it .I was in the impression that it is beneficial for diabetes
Koga Miri says:
I think this is among the most significant info for me. And i am glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things, The web site style is wonderful, the articles is really nice : D. Good job, cheers