cool kitchen gadgets

july cover extra small copy

Lightened-Up and Healthier Mexican Layered Dip

January 09, 2011

It’s so exciting to live in Alabama. Last year, the University of Alabama played (and won) the national championship game, and now this year Auburn faces  Oregon in the Tostitos BCS Championship Bowl for the national championship. So many friends went to Arizona to partake in the fun (and get warm). I will be making this Lightened-Up and Healthier Mexican Layer Dip since it features Tostito Scoops. The mixture of Greek yogurt and salsa makes a wonderful base for the dip. I love using nonfat Greek yogurt because it is so high in protein and low in carbohydrates with zero fat. Feel free to substitute chicken instead of beef or any of your favorite taco toppings. This is a great appetizer for the Super Bowl too or anytime you’re having company. My kids loved it, but it was so funny because they said it was almost too pretty and perfect to eat.

Lightened-Up and Mexican Layered Dip

1 (0.8-ounce) package taco seasoning
1/4 to 1/3 cup water
1 (15 ounce) can reduced sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups shredded lettuce
2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
11/2 cups shredded Sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 (10-ounce) package Tostitos "Scoops"
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley or cilantro (optional)
1 Salsa
Preparation
1. Combine Greek yogurt, mayonnaise and salsa in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate.

2. Cook ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes or until all of the beef is completely browned. Stir in taco seasoning and water; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.

3. Spread Greek yogurt mixture evenly in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Layer with ground beef mixture, black beans, lettuce, tomato and cheese. Place Tostitos Scoops evenly around the edges. Refrigerate until ready to serve or serve immediately. Top with parsley cilantro and serve with salsa, if desired.

Note: This can be made up to 6 hours in advance. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

22 Responses to “Lightened-Up and Healthier Mexican Layered Dip”
Laura says:
January, 09 2011at 11:06 am
This looks fantastic. War Eagle!
Sarah Beth says:
January, 09 2011at 11:07 am
I loved that you used Greek yogurt and made it healthier. I am making this for tomorrow night. You are the best
Patsy says:
January, 09 2011at 11:09 am
What a great way to use Tostito Scoops. How fun! My kids are going to love this one for sure. Where do you find Greek yogurt?
January, 11 2011at 01:31 pm
Alison, I stored and refrigerated the leftover of this from last night's game and I'm devouring it for lunch. The lettuce (which was very fresh) held up beautifully, so I'd argue the "store for up to 6 hours" could be extended. I'm working on 24 hours and it's even better!
Tiffany says:
January, 09 2011at 09:14 pm
That looks so good! I wish I could scoop some up right through the screen!
January, 12 2011at 10:21 pm
I love the Mexican dip but don't indulge in it very often- with your lightened up version I wouldn't feel bad about having it more often! It looks delicious!
Charla says:
January, 16 2011at 06:41 pm
My niece Lillian got me hooked on your awesome blog! This dip was a huge hit with my two young kiddos during the game -- we had to come up with something special since dad and brother actually got to go! I left the lettuce out and served the dip on top of it. The dip was actually better on day 2 and day 3! My kids loved taking it to school for lunch! Thanks for all the great recipes!
Alec Lewis says:
January, 09 2011at 11:10 am
Mom, this one was a hit. All of my friends went crazy over this one! Can't wait for BCS game and Super Bowl
January, 09 2011at 11:12 am
Patsy, you can find Greek yogurt in almost any grocery where yogurts are found. In town, they have it at Whole Foods, Publix, Fresh Market and even Walmart
Amy says:
January, 09 2011at 11:18 am
Thanks for having us over and letting us try your recipes. I had no idea this had anything light in it at all. It was incredible!
Julie says:
January, 09 2011at 11:18 am
Alabama and Auburn football is the best! I love your recipes and will be making this. Roll tide!
January, 09 2011at 11:55 am
I recognize these ingredients! You certainly did them justice!!
Alison says:
January, 09 2011at 01:19 pm
Thanks so much to Whole Foods for these ingredients and sponsoring my television!
January, 09 2011at 01:46 pm
[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Alison Lewis, Alison Lewis. Alison Lewis said: from blog: Lightened-Up and Healthier Mexican Layered Dip: It’s so exciting to live in Alabama. Last year, the ... http://bit.ly/f0wa2O [...]
Tracy says:
January, 09 2011at 05:03 pm
I love layered dips and I love that this one is lightened up! Will definitely have to try it!
January, 09 2011at 05:41 pm
This looks so good, I'm definitely going to make this. I love using greek yogurt in place of sour cream.
maria says:
January, 10 2011at 09:51 am
We are watching the game tonight! Great game day snack!
January, 10 2011at 01:45 pm
Alison, so glad you're again including pictures that can be easily printed along with recipe...however, when I click on "print" button, the recipe is not printing...only the photo, description and url's mentioned in the text. Am I missing something? In order to print the recipe, I had to print the screen on which the recipe appears...This has happened several times since you launched your new format. Hope all's well! Would love to see you soon.
January, 10 2011at 01:49 pm
Susan, I am having my format reworked and I will make sure my web person is aware of this. Thanks and happy snow day!
January, 10 2011at 04:39 pm
Alison, this dip looks great for parties or for any time. Everyone in my house would love this! Thanks for sharing with us :)
October, 21 2011at 09:32 pm
[...] inc.’s Lightened-Up and Healthier Mexican Layered Dip Two Peas and Their Pod’s Loaded Nachos Cookin’ Canuck’s Baked French Fries with [...]
October, 28 2011at 02:00 pm
So glad you added this to the blog hop. People will love this! And hope you will submit the photo to Healthy Aperture!