cool kitchen gadgets

july cover extra small copy

Lightened Up Pumpkin Muffins

October 14, 2010

Who can’t resist pumpkins this time of year? Since the theme of “Fall Fest” this week is Pumpkin, I thought these Pumpkin Muffins would be a hit. “Fall Fest, as I mentioned in my post last week for Black-Eyed Pea Salad over Arugula, is a cross-blog recipe swap. I love this recipe for Pumpkin Muffins which is lighter than the average recipe made with a mixture of whole wheat and all purpose flour, canned pumpkin, nonfat buttermilk and Canola oil. Speaking of Canola, I was so excited to attend an event last night at the Viking Cooking School in Atlanta featuring the talented Chef and Cookbook Author, Virginia Willis and Nutrition Expert and Author, Carolyn O’Neil. Another busy week for me. Please leave a comment and let me know what type of pumpkin recipes you have been making lately. Happy Thursday!

Pumpkin Muffins

2 large eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/4 cup confectioners sugar, sifted or chopped, toasted pecans
Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and nutmeg.

3. In a large bowl, whisk the sugar, molasses, oil and 1 egg until combined. Add the other egg and whisk well. Whisk in the pumpkin and vanilla. Whisk in the flour mixture in 2 batches, alternating with the buttermilk. Whisk just until combined.

4. Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pan and sprinkle with the powdered sugar or toasted pecans. Tap the pan on the counter a few times to remove any air bubbles. Bake for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of 1 of the muffins comes out clean.

5. Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the muffins to loosen them and unmold. Cool completely on the rack. Top with powdered sugar or pecans.

19 Responses to “Lightened Up Pumpkin Muffins”
Julie M. says:
October, 15 2010at 01:32 pm
These look delicious Alison! I haven't pulled out the pumpkin yet but seeing these reminds me that I need to! Hope you're doing well!
sophia says:
October, 14 2010at 05:00 pm
Dude, I can't resist pumpkin on ANY time of the year, so I immediately started drooling when I saw you muffins. Love the variety of spices you threw in there!
October, 14 2010at 12:34 pm
Hi Alison, Love the lightened pumpkin muffin. The use of mixed whole wheat and regular flour. Looks great. Shulie
Nisha says:
October, 14 2010at 11:12 am
You have no idea just how in love with pumpkin muffins I am. Thanks for the lighter version!!
Lisa says:
October, 14 2010at 11:18 am
I've almost got all the ingredients to make this right now. They sound delicious and I love the fact that they've been lightened up.
October, 14 2010at 10:28 am
I could just dive into that pumpkin muffin with my steamy cup of coffee right now. Lovely photo & I can't wait to hear more about the Canola event :) Missed u loads at BlogHer Food. xo
Christine says:
October, 14 2010at 10:28 am
These look delish! Pumpkin baked goods are wonderful at this time of year -- just made pumpkin pie and want to make pumpkin cookies soon. Looking forward to trying your muffins too!
Tracy says:
October, 14 2010at 08:22 am
These look simply wonderful!
October, 14 2010at 08:45 am
I love that you included allspice and ginger in these pretty muffins. This lightened-up version is very appealing.
October, 14 2010at 10:08 pm
You probably already know that in Australia pumpkin is used more in savoury rather than in sweets so I'm always a bit hesitant trying it although i know it is devine this way. So...without further ado..i'm going to give these muffins a go. I'll have to puree the pumpkin myself because in the can is not a regular supermarket shelf item. fingers crossed!
October, 14 2010at 09:19 pm
I bought the pumpkin, but haven't made anything with it yet. I might have to make these on Sunday. They sound perfect.
Lucy says:
October, 16 2010at 08:03 am
Pumpkin is the flavor of fall - these look delicious!
October, 16 2010at 09:01 am
Hey, Alison,great to meet you too! I look forward to lunch next week & we can all talk leisurely. I have stopped by your blog before & it is so pretty. I love food too & do quite a few recipes on my blog, but I'll definitely have to keep an eye out for some new ones to try on here. See you soon!
October, 16 2010at 03:08 pm
Those look delicious!! I love Pumpkin bread, so I know I would love those! I'll have to try them! It was great to meet you in person! Thanks so much for coming yesterday, and I look forward to seeing you again next week!!
meg says:
October, 19 2010at 05:53 pm
I can't resist pumpkin anything. These are so easy to make, taste yummy, and made my house smell so good while baking. Thanks.
jennifer says:
October, 15 2010at 02:32 pm
Oh yum! Those sound beyond delicious.
September, 23 2012at 12:45 pm
[...] is almost here, so I have been making my list for 10 Awesome Pumpkin Recipes Starting with my Lightened Up Pumpkin Muffins, I always purchase mini pumpkins for my table, and as soon as I put them out last week, my kids [...]
October, 02 2012at 11:27 am
Hi! The muffins on the photo look delicious! As for me the my favorite thing with pumpkin is the cream of pumpkin soup. Delicious!
November, 11 2013at 10:13 am