Take a break from the store bought sweets this Halloween and create your own festive dessert. Treat guests to Halloween Cake Pops, which are made using a homemade Pumpkin Spiced Bread recipe that is made with tofu. Simply combine pumpkin spice, flour and vanilla with House Foods Premium or Organic Tofu to create a lighter, healthier Halloween dessert. Next, melt the candy coating to create the icing for the cake pops. Then decorate with friendly jack-o-lanterns, scary ghosts, mummies and tombstones. Try something healthier this Halloween!
Halloween Cake Pops
12 oz Vanilla candy coating wafers
12oz Vanilla candy coating wafers in black
12 oz Vanilla candy coating wafers in orange
3 Squeeze bottles
24 Pop sticks
For the Spiced Bread:
½ pkg House Foods Premium or Organic Tofu Soft, drained
½ can pumpkin
½ cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
3 tsp baking soda
¾ tsp salt
3 tsp pumpkin spice
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a blender, combine pumpkin and tofu. Puree until smooth and transfer to large bowl. Add sugar, vegetable oil, water and vanilla to tofu mixture
In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, ginger and pumpkin spice.
3. Combine dry and wet ingredients. Mix thoroughly and pour into loaf pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour.
For the Cake Pops:
1. Remove bread from pan, cut off dry ends and discard. Let bread cool for about 2 hours and crumble in food processor.
2. Combine crumbs with your hands and form balls for pumpkins and mummies, bells for ghost and rectangles for tombstones. Make sure to place figures on a pan or sheet lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or freeze for 15 minutes.
3. Melt about 3 oz. of candy coating of your choice in a deep, narrow and dry bowl; follow manufacturer’s instructions. Once melted, insert about 1/2 inch of the stick into the melted coating, remove and insert stick into cake figures. Complete one color at a time, so that candy will not harden too quickly. Chill pops until base has hardened.
4. Once base has hardened, melt the rest of the candy coating in its corresponding bowl; once again do one color at a time. Take a pop and dip the cake into the coating, rotate pop as quickly as possible, with a small spoon cover any missing area. Once coating is even, insert pop into Styrofoam and let stand until coating hardens. Repeat for remaining pops.
5. Once coating on pops has hardened add melted candy coating into a squeeze bottle. With the squeeze bottle you can design jack-o-lanterns, ghost and tombstones or drizzle alternating colors.
Big news! Who would have thought that I would be speaking at the University of Alabama? I have had my own business for 12 1/2 years, and I started my blog 6 years ago. My business has taken many twists and
Pistachio Chewy Bite Popcorn Balls
Halloween is almost here and you know what that means…spooky fun, costumes, family, friends, and lots of treats! In celebration of the upcoming holiday, I wanted to share these fabulous treats by Jenny Engel and Heather Goldberg of Spork Foods. They have created
Beer Festival at the Beach: Sandestin Beach and Golf Resort
How does pure white sands, craft beer tastings and a walkabout beer bingo sound? This weekend, the charming Village of Baytowne Wharf at Sandestin Beach and Golf Resort will host the 7th Annual Beer Festival, known as the “Best Beer
Farro Fried Rice Recipe
Have you tried the grain, farro? This grain is minimally processed and very nutritious! One cup of farro has about 8 grams of cholesterol-lowering fiber. That’s four times as much as white rich; brown rice has only 5 grams. It also
Eat Smarter and Snack Brighter
I just discovered a healthy new product, and I could not wait to share! It’s an awesome healthy snack or dessert option that my 3 kids and I love. Outshine Fruit & Veggie Bars are a way to eat smarter and snack
Deconstructed Porterhouse at Fleming’s
I love October and fall! Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar has something truly special this month! Fleming’s is welcoming in Fall with their exclusive Deconstructed Porterhouse for two with roasted cauliflower and crispy potatoes, a limited time offer from October 15th to